TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:05:38 -0500
Is it electrolytic, or electroless?

During the plating process some gas (hydrogen I believe) may be produced at
the surface of the work being plated. This gas forms bubbles that may become
attached to the work itself, these bubbles prevent plating in those areas
resulting in pits, voids, absence of plating, etc.

Ensuring your chemistry is within prescribed variables, acid level, copper
level, pH, Buame', contaiminates, etc, can all affect this condition. Also,
cleanliness of product before plating, contaminates attached to the work
before being plated can themselves trap and contain these bubbles causing
similar conditions.

Ensure current (volts/amps) are correct for the surface area being plated,
too high of current can generate too much hydrogen at the surface of the
work...

Hope these generate some ideas, also, there are much more qualified persons
here in TechNetVille that may be able to provide more precise direction,
good luck

Franklin