TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:27:39 -0400
Hi Ken,

These are very good questions. Based on my research many component vendors
are planning to introduce new part numbers for Pb-free parts. Others are
planning to handle this change with a simple date code transition. Many
top-tier OEMs and EMS companies in North America and Europe are requesting
new part numbers from their vendors but there is no concensus or industry
standard on this subject right now. Changing part numbers is safer from a
process and reliability standpoint but it creates a major inventory issue
during the transition. It is not necessarily a perfect solution either since
many components  are perfectly compatible with both processes. Some vendor
labels even include the information about the two different  Moisture
Sensitivity Levels (MSL) for both Sn/Pb and Pb-Free reflow temperature.
Either way, component and process engineers will probably have to
re-classify a large number of parts by taking into account the alloy and
reflow compatibility issues.

As far as the assembly BOM is concerned it is up to each individual OEM and
EMS to decide how they want to handle this. My guess is that it will depend
on the capabilities of the current MRP/CIM systems that are in place. As you
can imagine the challenges associated with Pb-Free will require the
introduction of new systems to better manage the materials on the production
floor and specifically address the following issues :
1. Being able to identify and segregate Sn/Pb and Pb-Free materials (PCB,
components and chemicals)
2. Validate that the right materials are used at every operation on every
board
3. Provide "as-built" material and process traceability to demonstrate
compliance with the legislation and customer requirements.

If you are interested to understand these issue in more details I invite you
to participate in one of our Web-based seminars on Material Control for
Lead-Free. Please contact me offline if you would like to sign up.

I am not really familiar with any specific issues associated with HASL
boards so I will let someone else respond to this one.

Regards,

Francois Monette
Cogiscan Inc.
Tel : 450-534-2644