TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Francois Monette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:32:16 -0400
Hi Daan,

I am currently in the process of writing a paper on Material Control for
Lead-Free and here is some relevant information that I found on the subject
of alloy compatibility :

Backward Compatibility (i.e. using Pb-Free components in Sn/Pb process):
BGAs with Pb-Free solder balls are not recommended for Sn/Pb assembly using
temperatures below 220C because the solder joints are poorly formed if the
balls do not melt. As a result 2nd level reliability may be adversely
affected. There is also a potential for increased Sn-whisker growth if the
finish does not melt.

Forward Compatibility (i.e. using Sn/Pb components in Pb-free process): Less
of an issue, some reports of increased voiding in PBGA solder ball joints
due to flux trapping. Another issue that was already pointed out is the
resulting Lead-Contamination that may affect the solder joint structure and
decrease its reliability.

As a result of the above issues, some component vendors, including Intel do
not recommend using their components in forward or backward compatible
assemblies.

- Pb-free IC Component Issues & IPC/JEDEC Specification Update - Rick Shook,
Agere Systems
http://www.turi.org/messages/Rick_Shook-Dec3-03.pdf

- Lead Contamination in Lead-Free Electronics Assembly - Karl Seelig and
David Suraski, AIM
http://www.aimsolder.com/techarticles/Lead%20Contamination%20in%20Lead-Free%
20Electronics%20Assembly.pdf

- Lead-Free Program Overview - Intel Web Site
http://www.intel.com/design/flcomp/packdata/wccp/download/chpt8.pdf

I hope this information is helpful. Feel free to use it for your web site if
you wish.

Francois Monette
Cogiscan Inc.
www.cogiscan.com