TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:09:30 +0100
A soldering only solution would have to involve the columns of solder being
flexible enough to absorb stresses. Or strong enough not to break under
them.

Stronger alloys are probably out. Better thermal fatigue properties almost
inevitably go with higher melting points. Possibly an SAC alloy as developed
for PB-free would represent the minimum change in alloy here, but then you
would need to look at board  and component finishes everywhere else.

So the other possible solder only answer to investigate would be to make the
columns "bendier".
Either by making them taller.
Or by using a more "giving" alloy.
This is a property of In/Pb alloys and there are combinations with similar
melting ranges to Sn/Pb, [or higher/lower]. The difficulty then will be to
selectively apply them  (their cost makes it worthwhile spending time on
this). You could for example blank off the chip pad openings and then
stencil, dot dispense as required with In/Pb, p&p and then go to reflow as
now.
Which ever way you go will need some study and thought.

Regards

Mike Fenner
Indium Corporation

T: + 44 1908 580 400