TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:05:41 -0500
Joe,
I don't believe the old style pink poly bags, which contained migratory
amine agents, are made anymore.  Years past, manufacturers changed methods
so that the anti-static agent was theoretically bound inside the plastic
matrix itself, and so no longer migratory.  However, I believe that these
kind of bags still rely on the mechanism of attracting moisture to the
surface of the bag to create a sweat layer that provides ESD protection.
Not desirable because it varies depending on humidity.  The metalized
(smokey gray) bags have an evaporated metal layer that does not vary with
humidity.  Much preferred.

Doug Pauls

                      "Kane, Joseph E"
                      <joseph.kane@BAES        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      YSTEMS.COM>              cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  [TN] Pink Poly Contamination

                      06/02/2004 11:03
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum."; Please
                      respond to "Kane,
                      Joseph E"

One of our customers objects to having pink poly in contact with any of
their
product, but I've checked the TechNet archives, and it seems like pink poly
contamination is a problem that the industry has moved past.

With the older formulations, amines could migrate to the surface and
deposit on the product.  Seems like most of the issues were with
solderability of bare boards after long term storage, or exposure to temp
or humidity extremes.  I seem to remember a GIDEP alert on this, don't
remember when, but it appears that this hasn't been an issue since the
mid-90's.  Pink poly today is made with amides that are bound into the
plastic matrix.

Of course, we use static shielding for anything ESD sensitive, but we do
use

pink poly in a number of ways.  At receiving, we see non-sensitive parts
like connectors come in every day in pink poly bags, as do some bare
boards.

DIP's and other parts come in anti-static tubes that are then put inside
static
shielding bags.  Pink poly foam is used inside our conductive board boxes,
both
for cushioning, and to provide an insulating and non-static-generating
layer.
And I understand that pink poly is laminated inside static shielding bags
for the
same reason.

We've never seen an issue with contamination, corrosion, or outgassing,
and it will be time consuming and expensive to eliminate pink poly
if we don't have to.  And if it's inside static shielding bags, is it even
possible to get rid of it entirely?

Joe Kane
BAE SYSTEMS Controls
Johnson City, NY