LEADFREE Archives

June 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:45:01 -0500
Hi Sun's Chuck and IPC LF Listservers,

Chuck I always knew us engineers needed you.
 This comment comes from another list where attorneys and sometimes
 judges, were present. Gosh we learned so much from the few, the brave,
 the ???. Keep it up and Thanks!! Most attorneys do not have your gumpt.

<---Quoted Passage ---->
<I do not know what the rules are in Europe about relying on an opinion of
legal counsel, but here in the US it has no legal affect (except, maybe,
when it comes to sentencing - they figure if you were acting on the advice
of counsel you perhaps lacked malice - you might get a lighter sentence).
It is mainly used to cover one's behind for the sake of one's career.
<
Nonetheless, the language of the Directive is pretty clear, so I believe
the attorney and I have been telling the people in my company that
batteries are not under RoHS>
<-------------------------->

I believe what you wrote above is world wide jurisprudence. You can't
escape from your crimes unless you were specifically advised by the big
boys that you were totally clean, and even then the world takes a dim view
of whatever it currently considers is criminal within the powers of that
era. There are a few of high power that have and will escape criminal
trials in all eras.

From what I know selective treatment seems reasonable based on politics yet
a bit odd considering the overall objectives for in our case lower lead in
the organic life / human environment.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
Y i Engr, MA/NY DDave