EMBEDDEDNET Archives

June 2004

EmbeddedNet@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
EmbeddedNet <[log in to unmask]>
From:
John Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:46:27 -0500
Colleagues,

A quick reminder that the IPC D-37a Embedded Passive Device Task Group
will be holding a teleconference today, June 30th, at 2PM EDT, 11AM PDT.

The teleconference can be accessed at 1-620-584-8200 with the passcode
of 3366#.  The latest working draft is now available at the D-37a Detail
Page:

http://www.ipc.org/committeedetail.asp?Committee=D-37A

Select the "Drafts" link and select the "IPC-2316 Working Draft June
2004" link to download the .pdf document.

Here is the agenda for the meeting:

Time:  Wednesday, June 30th at 2PM EDT, 11AM PDT.

Dial in:  1-620-584-8200

Passcode:  3366#

-         Review Updates to IPC-2316 Guidelines Document

o       We left a short definition paragraph about ESD in the
introduction (section 3.5.3), and moved the bulk of the ESD subsection
into section 5.1.3.4 (Product Types, Resistors, Thermal Management
Issues, ESD).  Sid Clouser edited the content down to a set of
guidelines.

*         Request review by Dr. Percy Chinoy (Rohm and Haas) and Dave
Sawaska (McDermid)

o       We deleted sections Construction of Multilayer Boards and
Manufacturability.  This information shows ups in other sections (for
example, McGregor's input).

o       Added a new section, "Test and Trim" (section 6), and
incorporated the Kim Fjeldsted's recent paper, "Optimal Designs for
Embedded Passives Laser Trim."

o       Edited section 7, SMP EP Trade Off Analysis (original content
from Dr. Peter Sandborn's article, "Embedded Passives Cost Models").

*         We moved some text into the new Test and Trim section 6,
eliminated some of the introductory paragraphs because thee information
was covered in our introduction (section 3).

*         Request input on how to shape this section from Peter Sandborn
(U of A), and Chet Palesko (Answer Systems).  Additional input may be
from Prof Richard Ulrich (U of A), Richard Snogren and Dr. Robert
Crosswell (Motorola).

o       Incorporated the UL test information (provided by Crystal
Vanderpan) into the guidelines into section 8.2.4.

*         We are requesting some introductory text for this section.
Can Jack Bramel or Crystal Vanderpan provide this introductory text?
Information still pending from Tom Newton regarding the UL test coupon
drawings that should be incorporated.

o       Converted posting format to PDF, reducing the size of the file
by half (from 4M to 2M).

(Will FedEx cookies on request, if it will help speed up input!)

-         Action Items Completed from Last Meeting

o       Sid Clouser (Gould) edited the ESD section, and Karen
incorporated this section into the paper.

o       Karen incorporated the UL test information (provided by Crystal
Vanderpan) into the next version of the guidelines, and sent this
section to Jack Bramel and Crystal Vanderpan for review.

-         Action Items Remaining:

o       Kim and Karen will send the ESD section for review to Dr. Percy
Chinoy (Rohm and Haas) and Dave Sawaska (McDermid).

o       Dave Sawaska (McDermid) agreed to review and provide guidance
for shaping Section 5.1.1.2, Resistor Materials, Additive Techniques,
Thin Film; this section currently contains the McDermid M-Pass paper.

o       Kim Fjeldsted will send the Cost Model section for input and
review to Chet Palesko (Answer Systems), Peter Sandborn (U of Md), Prof
Richard Ulrich (U of A), Richard Snogren and Dr. Robert Crosswell
(Motorola).

o       Jack Bramel agreed to review the UL test information provided by
Crystal Vanderpan, after it is incorporated into the guidelines
document.  (File sent to Jack and Crystal.)

o       Dr. Rob Crosswell from Motorola agreed to provide information
for the thick film section (AI from May 4th meeting)

o       Mike Fitts (Mentor) will provide input for the design and CAD
software tools section (section 7).

o       Jeff Miller (WISE Software ) will provide input for the design
and CAM software tools section (section 7).

o       Prof. Richard Ulrich agreed to provide design information on
distributed capacitor guidelines.  (AI from May 4th meeting)

o       Joel Pieffer and Dr. Dave McGregor will provide guidance as to
how the capacitors section should be laid out. (AI from April 12, 2004
meeting).

o       Richard Snogren will provide guidance on Thermal Management as
related to Ceramic Thick Film materials.  . (AI from April 12, 2004
meeting)

Future AI's:

o       Add info from Duane Delfossee's overheads (Everett Charles) into
the document.  (Currently section 8.2.1; shouldn't we move this
somewhere else?  Does it belong in automated test?)

o       Incorporate Prof Richard Ulrich's thermal article into the
Thermal Management Issues section, when it is done.  We need to address
the empty sections on thermal dissipation and management.

John Perry

Technical Project Manager

IPC

1-847-790-5318 (P)