TECHNET Archives

May 2004

From:
Dave Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 06:08:00 -0500
We just last week had training for our Mirtec MV-2HTL table top machine and
have programmed 3 assemblies yesterday. To program a 1300 component SMT
board top and bottom took us 3 hours. Building a common component library
was a deciding factor in our decision, once a component is programmed you
will not have to tech that part on subsequent assemblies. We can save 99
images of each component allowing for variation in part marking appearance.
Bridge inspection is very good now for IC's. SPC defect software is robust
and there is an automatic marking pen system which can highlight defects so
board can be moved for repair.
Critical functions are:
1. Machine lighting source
2. Ease of programming (ability to use multiple formats)
3. Minimal False Failure stops
4. Machine footprint size
5. Minimal Engineering intervention, (tweaking algorithms)
6. Low maintenance
7. Good training and support after the sale
8. Software updates available online

Before our purchase we did extensive research with demos on most major
suppliers. What convinced us the most was the information from users of the
equipment. First time I ever got 100% positive reports on AOI equipment, In
my previous job we used 6 different types of AOI and the common feature was
that they were in pass through mode most of the time. We are High mix Low
volume house.

Dave Chapman
CSI