TECHNET Archives

May 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 15:39:02 +0300
I did say ~250°C, not a categorical 250°C. Most 63/37 waves operate
between 240 and 250°C. There are several mechanisms to help in reducing
the activity of "no-clean" flux residues. The most popular is
sublimation. Another is the encapsulation of activators in a resin or
rosin matrix. A third is the chemical decomposition, although I think
this is less commonly encountered nowadays. A fourth is to polymerise
the activator either into a relatively harmless chain or to use them for
cross-linking a prepolymer into a resinous mass. There may even be
combinations of them. Notwithstanding, there is no sich animal as a
"no-residue" flux. Even the proponents of "no-flux" soldering under a
reducing atmosphere, such as hydrogen/methane, will find metallic
compounds where the reduction occurs (for ex., complete reduction of
copper oxide under hydrogen requires a much higher temperature than
soldering temperature).

Conclusion: no matter the type of flux, there will always be some metal
compound residues and some raw and modified flux residues. The aim of
the manufacturer is to make this residue porridge as harmless as
possible. Some succeed better than others.

Brian