TECHNET Archives

May 2004

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 08:51:16 -0700
Hi Pete,

It's so funny that you bring that subject up...

While I was at the Del Mar Electronics Show, a few people asked about lead
free, and one of the key questions was, "Where can I buy a roll of lead free
solder to do rework?" They guy had looked all over the place to find some
and said he was concerned about the closing deadline to be compliant with
the E.U. requirement to have his products lead free, but he could not find
the materials anywhere to build his products with.

I hear a lot of seminar announcements and discussion in magazines but no
flurry of products are forthcoming. Sounds like we may have some lag in
getting on board here in the U.S.

Also there is some concern that footprints for components might need to
change geometries due to the differences in the solders. But I have not seen
any new designs based on any real data. I think we are in denial about it
here in the US and it may in fact affect our ability to sell in the E.U.

It's a great topic... I will be listening in to other comments.

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D., C.I.I.