TECHNET Archives

May 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 12:04:24 +0300
Rudy

See below

Rudy Sedlak wrote:

<snip>.  Note, this
> rule does not apply when you have an alloy, like Tin/Lead, as the atoms of Tin
> and Lead are too close to each other.

Not true. The phase structure of alloys often provide crystals with very
different electrochemical potentials. Pure iron will not rust: it is
crystals of, e.g., carbon or iron carbide or other alloying metals that
permit rusting to occur.

> Do we all know that this kind of phenomenon was discovered by the Italian
> scientist Galvanos, who noticed that when he plugged two different wires into a
> frogs legs, and touched them together, the frogs legs jumped!   From this it is
> too clear that Italian scientists must have MUCH too much time on their
> hands!

Althought his work was done much earlier, Luigi Galvani published his
De Viribus Electricitatis in Motu Musculari Commentarius (Commentary on
the Effect of Electricity on Muscular Motion) in 1791. It could be that
life was less stressful over 200 years ago! It was actually an extremely
useful discovery, as anyone who has had their life saved by a
defibrillator or who wears a pacemaker will testify! :-)

Brian