TECHNET Archives

May 2004

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:16:25 -0400
Your point is well taken. But, I feel a little less cynical. Most of what I
have learned about electronic manufacturing has been in response to a
standard requirement. Sometimes the standards saved our butt. Sometimes we
chose to ignore a requirement and got burned. Sometimes we discovered they
were obsolete or irrelevant.

The standards are not the timeless inspired word of God. They reflect the
best efforts of groups of men with mixed motivation, varied backgrounds and
knowledge with limited resources. Certainly proper application of industry
consensus standards requires knowledge and experience. Improper application
results in waste. My personal experience matches Brian's. But I've seen the
door swing both ways, where people ignore a standard requirement because
they didn't know why the requirement existed and then face a mountain of
field returns and rework.