TECHNET Archives

May 2004

From:
Prasad Godavarti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 11:56:56 -0700
Guy:
why is it that is no clear answer to this question:
it seems to me that the 6012 is a requirement and includes not only
controls but also specific pass/fail criteria.

On the other hand IPC A-600 is a collection of photos that can be used as
visual guidelines.

So IPC 6012 should prevail both as conformance and workmanship.

Am I wrong?

Prasad Godavarti (Dr. G)
Materials and Process Engineering Lead
Orbital Sciences Corp.
4808146238 (phone)
8775402378 (2-way text pager)
4802067743 (cell)

             Guy Ramsey
             Sent by: TechNet          [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/21/2004 08:36          Re: [TN] conformance vs workmanship
             AM

             Please respond to
              "TechNet E-Mail
                  Forum."
             ; Please respond
                Guy Ramsey

A great question.
The requirements in IPC standards reflect industry consensus limits for
acceptability.   One of the posts suggests the IPC-A-600 is a workmanship
standard. I see his point(IPC-A-600 defines "Target Conditions". The goal
of
every process should be to produce target conditions. You won't find target
conditions in IPC-6012) but I don't see it as a workmanship standard. It is
an acceptability standard that portrays requirements of other standards.

The IPC standards committees get stalled when they attempt to define
workmanship. One of the principles of standardization is: Standards should
just include spec information.

Yes, it is possible to conform to requirements and demonstrate poor
workmanship.

This is not unique. Did you ever hire a contractor to build a house or an
addition to your home.
Does meeting code ensure good workmanship? Code requires studs every 16
inches. It doesn't say they have to be parallel. Ask the drywallers what
they think of twisted non-parallel studs. Does meeting code ensure the
building won't fall down or catch fire? It should.