TECHNET Archives

May 2004

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 13:40:34 +0100
I must be mad sending this to challenge The Oracle himself but....

The real beauty of the OA process is that it required only water - as
distinct from Aqueous Process where Water Soluble, or some would say Water
Washable fluxes were used that required some cleaning chemistry.

Aqueous processes I always thought of as a misnomer and that it should be
called Semi-Aqueous - ergo water only v water plus chemistry.

However, the drawback with the Water Only approach is that it proved to be
inadequate for some of the newer low stand-off devices such as micro-BGA,
flip-chip and some of the smaller discreets <0604. Saponification had to
added in order, not only to get under such devices but, more importantly, to
get the darned stuff out from underneath including the "dissolved"
contaminants.

IMHO - Graham Naisbitt