LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 23:49:42 -0500
Hi NIST-Carol and IPC LF Listservers,

NIST is always fun and huge, like the NIH, or the CDC, or, NASA, or
---. I think once I kind of worked for NIST under it's MRC underling
and even went to a conference where the head NIST oman at the time
gave a speech. Clinton liked and appointed many oman, and he was
smart, it was said by the Rhodes Scholars...

Well Carol, I poked around for quite awhile tonight on Sunday trying
to find reliability data on LF and so far I haven't found anything
to support the claim listed on this first page of your www linked
note. Again NIST is huge so I might be missing things.

Please help direct me to the right www page, or pages.

----------------
http://www.nemi.org/projects/ese/lf_assembly.html

The reliability testing and analysis showed that lead-free components with
the NEMI-recommended lead-free alloy were more reliable than their tin-lead
counterparts. Now that our work has demonstrated the feasibility as well as
reliability of lead-free processing, industry interest in lead-free seems
to be accelerating. Two of our members have announced they are, or shortly
will be, building lead-free products. This has also put pressure on
component suppliers to provide lead-free parts.

Carol I can't find evidence for this statement,
 I will look another 30 minutes.
------------------------

These are some of the links I have already searched.

http://www.metallurgy.nist.gov/solder/

http://www.metallurgy.nist.gov/phase/solder/solder.html

http://www.metallurgy.nist.gov/phase/papers/papers.html

http://www.metallurgy.nist.gov/phase/papers/solder_papers.html

http://www.metallurgy.nist.gov/solder/clech/Introduction.htm

 I kind of picked parts of the above page since it was appropriate

While a variety of life prediction models have been developed for near-
eutectic SnPb assemblies, to this author's knowledge, such models are not
currently available for lead-free soldered assemblies. The development of
life prediction models requires a detailed understanding of failure modes,
an adequate constitutive model that captures the thermo-mechanical behavior
of lead-free solders in electronic assemblies and a reliability database
that is needed for the empirical correlation of failure times under test
and/or field conditions.

While some of the lessons learned with SnPb will transfer to lead-free
applications, a significant amount of research and development is needed
for lead-free reliability models to come up to par with their SnPb
equivalents.

<< By the Way This comes from our listserve member Jean Claude >>
<< who was apparently hired by NIST                            >>

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave