LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Tim Greiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 22:32:20 -0400
Brian,

We have a project here in Massachusetts run by the Toxics Use Reduction
Institute on wire and cable and I can reply with certaintly that lead is
both used as a heat stabilizer and as a colorant in wire and cable products.
The heat stabilizers are found only in PVC but the colorants can be used in
any wire and cable resin system.

The industry is undergoing a rapid shift away from lead heat stabilizers
and lead pigments (mostly lead chromates) for products covered by the ROHS
and WEEE.   There has been far less substitution for domestic non
electrical or automotive markets however such as in building wire.  For
more information, see the TURI website:

www.turi.org/business/wire_and_cable.htm

Tim Greiner
Greiner Environmental, Inc.