LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Karl Heinz Zuber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 10:56:05 +0200
Dear all,
interesting number about the origin of lead leaching, indeed. Although
not too significant, i fear.

A little remark on landfill leaching:
Of course there are real-life leachate values for lead, i could mention
thousands if i had any... ;-)
The "problem" is, that the concentrations are generally really small. At
the moment i have only one example at hand (and i did not read the
entire report yet...):
At the household waste landfill Herten (Germany), the Pb concentration
in the leachate is 0,1 mg/l, groundwater upstream is 0,01, groundwater
downstream is 0,05. So the Groundwater is obviously affected.
I really try to see some kind of usefulness for "leadfree" to make my
work a bit more motivating.
(for this example see
http://www.xfaweb.baden-wuerttemberg.de/alfaweb/print/herten.pdf,
unfortunately in german)

Additional remark: I still think that colloid-based transport of
precipitated contaminants in soil and ground water is worth a study. I
also wonder if that effects the test results of leachates/groundwater.

Additional remark about the critisized leaching tests: I repeat that
acetic acid as a leaching agent is IMHO reasonable for "modelling"
landfill leachates, although precipitation reactions are not modelled
with that. As usual, real-life natural processes are so complex, that it
is hardly possible to calculate them exactly (and they differ, for
example from landfill to landfill). An exact model (or test method)
would have to be as complex as reality itself, and there is obviously
not enough knowledge to re-build reality completely.

Best regards,
khz