LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
to Paul Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 12:18:18 +0100
Dave

Quite controversial this issue.  Are we just are talking about existing
designs that are currently produced in Tin-lead solder that are to be
manufactured in lead-free purely by a change in process? As most
manufactures who are developing new units will be qualifying RoHS compliant
product as a normal occurrence in the development process, re-qualification
of all existing designs I believe will be difficult to cost justify.  One
route would be to select PCB's of different technologies  i.e surface
mount, high density, mixed component content etc that is in keeping with
designs across the companies product range and have these qualified, then
use these to 'self assess' the other boards.  Sure, there may be the odd
board that slips through, but that is no different then now as there are
always production problems around.  For example, component suppliers
(especially IC suppliers) sometimes change their process without making
sure every one is compatible...you must have been caught out by the
'die-shrink IC' that doesn't always work later on!!

I think the original question was aimed at whether lead free solder
exhibited any problems in operation in the GHz band and re-qualification
around this RF 'transmission' frequency, and as i replied before, most
goods affected by RoHs i believe are in the lower frequencies.

Regards

Paul

Paul R Taylor
Senior Engineer, Product Supply Group