LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 23:42:21 EDT
Hello DDave, [sorry I am still missing your real name]

This lead-free project was a NEMI (repeat: NEMI) project.  I am saying
"repeat" because I want to use "bold" characters for emphasis but I am not sure the
forum transmitter will keep it that way.

You may first want to ask NEMI about how the book decision was arrived at.
For comparison purposes, the results of the NCMS lead-free project were
published on a CD, available world-wide for a fee.  Should you find out about the
procedures and conditions that North American consortia abide by prior to
publication or release of information, please let the forum know about it.  I admit
ignorance on this one.

From what I understand, NIST was one of the many participants of the NEMI
project and contributed significantly in at least two areas: 1) phase diagrams;
and 2) material / alloy properties. At the risk of repeating some of what Carol
Handwerker said yesterday, the total output of this work is available under
the NIST metallurgy web site. I have also seen many of the above results in
conference and journal publications, which your company's library may have access
to.  The NEMI lead-free reliability testing included many direct participants
under the coordination of John Sohn (previously of Lucent) and perhaps
somebody else, so I would not expect to see those results under a NIST page.

There is much more that NIST has contributed to the industry with respect to
lead-free (as well as SnPb), including a detailed survey of lead-free
properties (physical, thermal, mechanical) that is available under the web site of
their Colorado branch.  Also, somewhere under the main metallurgy site (under
"solder data" I believe) you can find solder testing guidelines (a .pdf file in a
nice booklet format).

With best regards,
Jean-Paul

In a message dated 5/19/2004 9:37:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,