LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 14:47:19 -0400
That is not necessarily true.  Within each web site of major US and Japan
companies are sections dealing with environment which are notably ponderous
and detailed but not to the revelation of sources and technology.
The measure is there to show the effort made and the progress to date and
the timetable for final compliance.

I suppose that you are correct in terms of the measure of reliability
comparing old to new materials and process, but I think we all agree that
there is rarely an apple to apple comparison, since component sizes, board
density and number of contacts have changed rapidly in the front runner
products of these big corporations.  The measure is in the final
performance, yield, and customer perception of quality.  The new bells and
whistles tend to overshadow, the occasional bad board or warranty repair.
The bottom line is the cost to maintain the product integrity versus the
sales and profit.

James P. Canner
Senior Applications Engineer
Murata Electronics North America
1900 W. College Ave
State College PA 16801-2799
(814)-237-1431 x 2032

                      Leo Higgins
                      <Leo_Higgins@ASAT        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      .COM>                    cc:
                      Sent by: Leadfree        Subject:  Re: [LF] Reliability information on SAC

                      05/19/2004 12:17
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "(Leadfree
                      Electronics
                      Assembly Forum)";
                      Please respond to
                      Leo Higgins

There are digital cameras and other consumer electronics at Best Buy, and
elsewhere, largely from Japan, that are now displaying stickers that state
that the products are RoHS and WEEE compliant. But these products may not
be
considered highly stressed products and the camera manufacturers are surely
not making the little bit of data they have available to the public.

Regards,

Leo