LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 17:31:37 -0400
Jean-Paul,

I agree with you 100%. Prior to releasing hardware to the field, one
should perform some level of reliability testing to assure that the
product has some level of integrity.

My concern is that with the volume of test vehicles built with Lead Free
alloys (specifically SnAgCu), has anyone "pulled the trigger" and made
the conversion over to Lead Free solder alloys in the commercial,
telecommunications, and / or aerospace markets. Most test vehicles have
daisy chain components, not functional electrical components. I'm not
only interested about the solder joint reliability, but also the
electrical reliability of components.

My gut tells me that progress has been made, but there is little field
data to illustrate how well these products performed versus their SnPb
counterparts. Did they experience more field failures than for SnPb? Did
their components survive? What was the root cause of failure?  Stuff
like that.

Granted, SnPb has 50 years of field experience. We have a little more
than 2 years to convert to Lead Free.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
American Competitiveness Institute
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290

This message is for informational purposes only and does not supersede,
modify, or create any agreements with ACI. Information contained in this
message does not bind ACI or its affiliates to any commitment, either
express or implied, unless ratified in writing by an authorized
representative.

in
To temporarily stop delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks send: SET
Leadfree NOMAIL
Please visit IPC web site