LEADFREE Archives

May 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"SCHMIDT, WOLF-DIETER" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 17:25:14 +0200
Hello to all,

based on > 10 year of experience with microwave circuits up to 20 GHz I
wonder what people are discussing on the influence of lead or no lead within
solder.

First of all: due to skin effect the current is present near the surface of
the conductive line with roughly 7 µm at 1 GHz where 99.9 % of all current
is present. This value is proportinal to 1 / sqrt(f), e.g. the values are 70
µm at 10 Mhz resp. 0.7 µm at 100 Ghz.

Second: due to proximity effect the current on a microstrip is mainly on the
lower side (near the ground plane). So only at solder joints the current has
to pass the solder.

My experience with FR4 boards is that the attenuation at > 1 GHz will far
away from neglectable values (using SnPb-solder) and at power amps even at
lower frequencies - all due to the resins influence. So I wonder how you
will detect the difference between 63%SN+37%Pb and 96%Sn+... regarding the
small dimensions of a solder joint compared to line lengths.

Normal FR4 material is a mixture of glass with an epsilon of about 6
meanwhile resin is at about 3.5 (data from ISOLA) - but who knows what
percentage of glass and resin is present in your board ? The effective
epsilon influences the characteristic impedance of a line.

And the last tip: if anyone will discuss on digital circuts and
characteristic impedances: please visit the Texas Instruments sites and look
for two interesting articles:
- K. Fleder: "The Bergeron Method: A Grafic Method for Determining Line
Refelctions in Transient Phenomena", SDYA014
- "Input and Output Characteristics of Digital Integrated Circuits", SDYA010
Maybe you'll change yourr thinking on that item.

best regards
Wolf-Dieter Schmidt
THALES Defence Deutschland GmbH
Industrial Engineering