TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
Eric CHRISTISON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 15:59:26 +0100
Hmm,

40 years is a long time although it sounds like you live in a benign
environment unless there's a lot of atmospheric pollution around.

You didn't say whether the aluminium was coated or not e.g. alochrome or
anodised. If it were anodised I wouldn't be too worried. If there were
anodised washers under the bolts then that would be effective too.
Alternatively ivadised bolts would stop corrosion also. Otherwise you may
see some corrosion under the heads of the bolts after a decade or two.

If you're thinking of painting anything onto the parts then I'd make sure it
went between the materials - there's a gunge on the market called 'Never
Seize Grease' which is a disgusting mixture of grease and some sort of mud
which is highly effective at stopping galvanic corrosion and leaving
indelible stains on your clothes as well as doing what the name suggests.

Regards,

Eric Christison Msc
Mechanical Engineer
Consumer & Micro Group - Imaging Division
STMicroelectronics
33 Pinkhill
Edinburgh
EH12 7BF