TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:03:01 EDT
Hi Siegfried!

From experience at a past job, concave terminations are best for reflow
soldering. I worked for a company named SMART Modular Technologies where we built
memory modules. The one I remember well that used chip resistor networks was a
Pipeline Burst Cache Module that had 21 chip resistor networks on the
backside...this was a double-sided reflow assembly. When we first started building it,
we had many bridges and mis-alignments. The footprint was what was
recommended by the manufacturer of the resistor network that we were using at the time,
and it was a convex terminated network. I think I must have bought 2-3
different stencils all with different aperture openings to try and improve yields.
Things got a little better, but the problems never really went away.

Then we had this Panasonic Rep in, and I started talking with him about the
problems we were having. He immediately pulls this paper out of a study that
was done by Panasonic on concave vs. convex chip resistor networks reflow
soldering performance, and it showed that concave network terminations had better
self-centering characteristics, and less bridging. I tried to find that paper up
on the web, but no joy. Here is a link to a page in Digikeys catalog to a
Panasonic resistor network that says that concave terminations solder better:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/pdf/EU041/0601.pdf

In my case at SMART Modular, switching to networks with concave terminations
almost completely eliminated the solder defects we were experiencing with chip
resistor networks.

I've requested the paper I remember from Panasonic, it's pretty good with
some nice images. If they still have it, and I get it, I'll share with everybody.

-Steve Gregory-