TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:04:51 -0500
I am in technet "digest mode", so I won't know if you
got any response to your challenge until tomorrow, but...

I am one of those circuit board designers
who works for a company
that requires documentation in metric,
but who still does all the design database work in mils.

I know, I'm pathetic.
partly fear,
partly "I don't know how to switch over" in Mentor
partly lazy, comfortable habit.

I have very little respect for board designers
who won't change a process or a parameter
even when the facts show that it should be changed.
It doesn't matter "how we've always done it",
I believe in science.
and progress.
And now I realize I AM one of those old farts.

I've been squirming away from this subject for years.

Now I'm imagining what people in other countries
think of me when they read my posts.
and I'm a little embarrassed.
The obstinance, or arrogance,
(or whatever you want to call it)
of using an illogical system of measurement
just because we were taught that way as children
never trying to learn the better way,
must cause people to shake their heads and wonder.

At least I could make an attempt to use a common method
of communication in public, dontcha think?

So I am accepting your challenge, Joe!
(at least in public <grin>

In fact, I think we should adopt this in all IPC forums,
so I might just cross-post this in the Designer's Council
Flame me if ya want!

but
THANKS for the kick in the head!

Jack (aka "the new guy" with old habits)

|         |           Automatic digest |
|         |           processor        |
|         |           <LISTSERV@LISTSER|
|         |           V.IPC.ORG>       |
|         |           Sent by: TechNet |
|         |           04/27/2004 12:00 |
|         |           TechNet          |
  |To: Recipients of TechNet digests <[log in to unmask]>                                                                  |
  |cc:                                                                                                                           |
  |  Subject:      TechNet Digest - 25 Apr 2004 to 26 Apr 2004 (#2004-114)                                                       |

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 05/27/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

----- Message from Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]> on Mon, 26 Apr 2004
11:07:09 EDT -----

 Subject: Re: Stack-up for 2 layer, 3oz. copper board - a metric
          viewpoint

<snip>

It's time for a change that is long overdue.

To that end, maybe everyone in this forum could start by supplying metric
values first in these conversations and for some time to come put the
older, less
logical measurement values in parenthesis following the metric value for
historical reference (or for those who still find comfort in the old ways).

<snip>

Kind regards to all,
Joe