TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:35:14 EDT
Hello Roger,

What are the odds of the US industry converting?... This as a journey we have
been on for sometime and the destination is certain. It will happen. We in
the States just keep deferring the inevitable to a future generation for our own
comfort now. Fortunately, unlike the proposed conversion to lead-free
solders, this change actually makes sense and provides real value to both the
industry and ultimately the consumer.

The IPC's TAEC has tried to take a few cuts at it in the past. IPC Standards
now favor metric values but still maintain the English system "training
wheels" presumably for documentation legacy reasons.

Will there be an admission on the continuing cost of not converting? I don't
think most folks are interested in showcasing the mistakes that made or the
time they have wasted seeking clarification of numbers. Still, we do have
historical data points, the most glaring of which is history is the failed mission
to Mars from a few years back. What was the price tag of that little
measurement system conversion error... plus or minus $100 million?

Time will tell when it comes. If it is not by our doing now, it will be done
by our much wiser children and grandchildren :-)

Very best,
Joe

10, 20, 30, and 40-oz copper on the board
For the record these are:  0.35mm, 0.7mm, 1.05mm and 1.4mm thick copper...
;-)