TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
Eric CHRISTISON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:50:31 +0100
Bill,

Although things may be different in the States I seem to recall that
interior trim parts used in the UK/Europe were not ABS. Volkswagen use Noryl
in some cars I seem to remember polycarbonate was another favourite. The
fracture toughness of ABS is not tremendously high although there are large
variations between grades. I vaguely recall that modifiers are used to
further improve toughness in many grades. ABS is generally selected where
good surface finish, mouldability and low cost are needed. Weatherability is
also a important consideration. Many domestics goods such as vacuum cleaners
have casings made of ABS because of the excellent surface finish and low
cost.

Again with temperature I suspect that you will find a very large variation
in Tg if you look through the GE Plastics catalogue (especially as ABS is a
blend of three polymers). It's quite possible that if ABS were selected for
a car it may be a grade with a much higher Tg than the grade that the melted
box was made from.

Anyway enough pontificating best get back to reality..

Eric Christison Msc
Mechanical Engineer
Consumer & Micro Group - Imaging Division
STMicroelectronics
33 Pinkhill
Edinburgh
EH12 7BF