TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
"Morse, Carrie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:32:49 -0400
My recommendation would be to establish a chart for different stencil
thicknesses.  Allow your own process capability to establish upper and
lower control limits for those charts either by printing and measuring a
number of samples or, just taking measurements from production (30 may
be considered statistically sound).  Of course, these UCL and LCL's
should be within the upper and lower specification limits.  The question
as to WHAT the upper and lower spec limits are depends on how much paste
each joint really needs to ensure a reliable joint for your specific
desings.  That can depend on the individual pad and component design.
Sometimes .005" will be just barely enough.  Sometimes .008" will cause
bridging.  If you feel you MUST establish and upper and lower
specification limit, my recommendation would be .005"-.008" for 5 mil
stencils and .006"-.009" for 6 mil stencils.  IF you go outside the
limits, the procedure should state that a Tech or Engineer should be
called to look into the situation and identify the root cause.

-Carrie