TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
Daan Terstegge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:07:03 +0200
Hi Colleen,

Go to http://www.smtinfo.net and click on the link to "0201 sized
components". There you'll find references to many technical articles
that may be of help.

Daan Terstegge
Thales Communications
Unclassified mail
Personal Website: http://www.smtinfo.net

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/15/04 04:40pm >>>
Good morning.

We are currently assessing the need to use 0201 packages (chip
resistors and capacitors) in our new PWA designs... especially with
technology getting smaller and smaller with valuable board real estate.
 Unfortunately, our initial conglomeration of information has not been
very favorable.  We have posed this issue to our contract manufacturers
who are very hesitant to accept such a task.  Some of the information
filtering in states...
*       0201 packages cannot be x-rayed or re-worked
*       differences in recommended footprints (either .012x.015 or
.015x.012... same size but different rotation)
*       a DPMO of 20x's highter than an 0402 package

Does anyone have steady experience in using 0201 packages?  What
footprint is recommended?  What type of quality level is experienced?
What are the hurdles that have been overcome?  And of course (me being
the quality person that I am)... what about the x-ray or re-work
capabilities (or lack thereof)?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!  Even if you can
reference papers or articles on the subject, that would be great!

Colleen Coccia
New Product Introduction - Quality Engineer
McDATA Corporation
4 McDATA Parkway
Broomfield, CO 80021

email:  [log in to unmask]

SPECIAL NOTICE

All information transmitted hereby is intended only for the use of the

addressee(s) named  above and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized  review, use, disclosure or distribution
of confidential and privileged information is prohibited. If the reader
of
this message is not the intended recipient(s) or the employee or agent

responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that
disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the
information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY
PROHIBITED.

Anyone who receives confidential and privileged information in error
should
notify us immediately by telephone and mail the original message to us
at the
above address and destroy all copies.  To the extent any portion of
this
communication contains public information, no such restrictions
apply to that information. (gate01)

in
http://listserv.ipc.org/archives
Please visit IPC web site