TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:09:52 +0300
a) Presumably, all your hard drives were made in foreign climes and had
already passed through security systems before reaching you. Why should
they go through that and not suffer.
b) Large PC makers who manufacture in the US and export (e.g., Dell,
Gateway, HP/Compaq etc.) would lose all their overseas markets if this
was a real problem.
c) I do a lot of video work, requiring file sizes up to many tens of Gb.
Some of my colleagues have reported HDD problems over the past months on
large drives. It would appear that the faster drives (<8 ms seek time)
are more delicate than the older ones, possibly because they are
cramming more data into a smaller surface of platter. Some makes are
more prone to problems than others. Maxtor, for example, is cited as
being better than some other makes.

I would suggest you may wish to try a different HDD manufacturer.

Brian