TECHNET Archives

April 2004

From:
"Valerie St.Cyr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:33:49 -0400
Rey,

There is no "industry standard for moisture content", to my knowledge.
There is a test, IPC-TM-650 2.6.2.1, for moisture absorption for rigid
laminates. Each "laminate" has a different maximum requirement based on
its' resin and reinforcement system (the % uptake by weight is different
for polyimide than it is for epoxy); and the test is based on a 2" square
of a relatively thick material. Also, there is no requirement for prepreg
(although there is a requirement for maximum volatile content). Anyway,
what the interested party needs to do is compare numbers from each
suppliers specification sheets, which while they cannot predict
performance in certain environments, they are relative comparisons of
propensity to absorb moisture. Then, if the product in use will be exposed
to particularly humid conditions, "bias" the choice of laminates to a low
moisture uptake material. (and those numbers can be different from
manufacturer to manufacturer for "generic" material families).

You need more information on what problem they are trying to solve or
trying to avoid (unless they are just sniffing around for specs, which is
not usually the case).

Valerie

"Stolar, Paul W" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
04/14/2004 09:28 AM
Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; Please respond to "Stolar, Paul
W"