LEADFREE Archives

April 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kallin, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:17:39 -0400
I certainly agree that the ventilation is primarily for flux. Ventilation is
only part of the industrial hygiene controls for soldering operations. There
is real potential for excessive exposure to lead in wave solder operations.
Primarily from de-drossing and dross management as the dross has a fine
powder which easily becomes airborne or attached to clothes.  I have not
seen leadfree dross yet, but I suspect it will have similar characteristics.

We monitor wave solder operators regularly.  It is not unccommon to find
lead exposures (but below the PEL) for operators. We are well below
vaporization temperatures of the lead but it still shows up in air sampling.

The low limit for OSHA seems to be due to US OSHA treating all silver as
soluble. ACGIH and DFG each have different limits for silver (0.1 mg/m3) and
soluble compounds of silver (0.01) . The Z1 table only has one entry.

Dan