ENVIRONET Archives

April 2004

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Karl Sauter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:26:41 -0700
Re: No Technical Content

Brian,

The premise that "dictatorships arise only from hardship and poverty"
is weak.  The details of Hitler's rise to political power actually
make a good case against this premise.  If a society's support for
a democratic form of government depends upon their economy always
running smoothly, then we are all in trouble.  Don't be confused by
dictatorships often bringing, in rather short order, more hardship
and poverty -- usually the dictatorship came first.

Another observation is that dictatorships in most places arise when
differences among the people are exploited, where some groups come
to regard other groups as "the enemy".  Ironically a period of
prosperity can give rise to a dictatorship if those slower to be
affected or benefit lose patience, or if those benefiting first
then unfairly seek to prolong privileges that would otherwise be
only temporary (example: Argentina).  Only a dictator then is able
to maintain order, since the people cooperatively are not able to
do it themselves.

I am alarmed by the seeming increase of influencers in many
currently democratic societies who play the blame game, or who
personally disparage their opponents, rather than trying to find
more convincing logical arguments/facts/data to offer.  Seems to
me that democratic society does in fact need cohesiveness,
especially a common understanding of what is fair.  And it needs
people who will value that fairness and justice more than money,
and who have little tolerance for blaming, disparaging, or other
demonizing in public discourse.

Karl Sauter