ENVIRONET Archives

April 2004

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Chuck Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:25:23 -0700
When I read the article the word "sobering" isn't the one that popped into my head.
"Silly" I think is the more appropriate term.

First  - The authors of Pentagon report (referred to in the Forbes article) Peter
Schwartz and Doug Randall are not "Pentagon planners" and they are not with the
Pentagon, they are from the Global Business Network. I have seen nothing that links
these two authors or the GBN officially to the Pentagon or the Defense Department. The
GBN  web site does not say that they were hired by the Pentagon to do this report.
Apparently (I could find no data, so somebody correct me if I am wrong) this is a report
created by the GBN that they just delivered up to the Pentagon.

Secondly - read the Pentagon report to which the article refers.
The IPC server won't let me attach the Pentagon report (if anyone wants a copy of the
report send me a separate email and I can forward it to you) but note that the report
starts out with

"Imagining the Unthinkable

The purpose of this report is to imagine the unthinkable – to push the boundaries of
current research on climate change so we may better understand the potential
implications on United States national security.

We have interviewed leading climate change scientists, conducted additional research,
and reviewed several iterations of the scenario with these experts. The scientists
support this project, but caution that the scenario depicted is extreme in two
fundamental ways.  First, they suggest the occurrences we outline would most likely
happen in a few regions, rather than on globally.  Second, they say the magnitude of the
event may be considerably smaller.

We have created a climate change scenario that although not the most likely, is
plausible, and would challenge United States national security in ways that should be
considered immediately."

The "Pentagon" report also states "In this report, as an alternative to the scenarios of
gradual climatic warming that are so common, we outline an abrupt climate change
scenario patterned after the 100-year event that occurred about 8,200 years ago."

Not quite what the article implies. In addition, I can't say that the "Pentagon" report
is larded with bad science, because it doesn't even pretend to be scientific. It creates
a series of climate scenarios and then imagines the national security implications of
those scenarios. It is not climate science it is merely a war game "what if" exercise.
And the authors of the report are not climate scientists.

Third: The Forbes article itself is so full of "mays"(6 times) and "coulds" and "woulds
(3 times) and "probably"s as to be taken as just more schlock journalism (Yes, even
Forbes mag.)

Then there is "
Picture last fall's California wildfires ...

Or imagine similar disasters ....."  Yeah, let's imagine, that's real good science.

But what really takes the cake is "Hollywood has also discovered the issue—next summer
20th Century Fox is expected to release The Day After Tomorrow, a big-budget disaster
movie starring Dennis Quaid as a scientist trying to save the world from an ice age
precipitated by global warming. Fox's flick will doubtless be apocalyptically edifying."

Well, if Hollywood has discovered it I guess that ends all debate on the subject matter.

Chuck Dolci