DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:16:50 -0400
Who is John Galt?........

I had a brush or two with management but my psyche rejected it violently
each time. Mostly because of what you say, Mike.

At one point I was looking for other possibilities. Interviewed for a
management job for a company in Atlanta. Had a battery of interviews with
potential superiors. This one guy kept giving me crisis situations; how
would I handle this or that. My responses were in the vein of... I'd get to
know who could do what - what people's strengths and shortcomings were and
manage the work accordingly. If such a crisis arose anyway, we'd deal with
it by any means available (I gave examples) and try to coach the
individuals so that such an event was less likely to occur in the future. I
could see that I wasn't saying what he wanted to hear. After a few of them
I told him I KNEW I wasn't saying what he wanted to hear, and asked him to
tell me what he was looking for, just for grins. He wouldn't. I didn't get
the job, which is just as well. I'm not sure, but I think it was because
I'm "Bullsh&t Impaired".

Regarding old artwork: after we stopped using light tables and tape, we
photoplotted to glass. I used to make aquariums out of uprev'd glass. Made
the ultimate hamster cage using D size glass (mainframe backplane) with a
gazillion A size pieces forming a spiral staircase around the inside. Hard
to clean, but an extremely cool thing for the young board designer's
livingroom (not sure my wife ever agreed). Wish I'd kept a few....

-Chris (el CID)

                       Mike Huffman
                       <[log in to unmask]>        To:   [log in to unmask]
                       Sent by: DesignerCouncil          cc:
                       <[log in to unmask]>         Subject:    Re: [DC] tech jobs overseas...

                       04/01/2004 06:54 AM
                       Please respond to
                       "(Designers Council
                       Forum)"; Please respond to
                       mike.huffman

You know, it's interesting, but as an observer of this string, it is so
easy to distinguish who is employed and who isn't.  The truth is,
companies really don't care about their employees; only enough to persuade
the community that they are a good company to work for to keep the bottom
line intact.  And we as individuals are letting big company attitudes
become our attitudes.  We don't care about each other anymore.  As we get
promoted from pcb designer to managers, we also change our ways from
thinking of each other to the bottom line, and we send the job overseas
and lay off another.

Atlas is shrugging.

Mike Huffman  ([log in to unmask] )
CID+, IPC Certified Advanced Interconnect Designer
Electrical CAD Manager
Philips Consumer Electronics, BCT Projection TV
PHONE 865-521-3448, FAX 865-540-8021
One Philips Drive,  P.O. Box 14810, Knoxville, TN. 37914-1810

"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Please respond to "(Designers Council Forum)"; Please respond to
"Brooks,Bill"