DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:00:49 -0700
Terry,

I know of what you speak... Most companies have very poor visibility in
seeing the 'total cost' of a product... Many times losses due to
productivity or hidden costs can affect the bottom line and the accountants
can't really tell where those dollars went to because they are masked by
invisible activities.

In some cases, if those activities didn't happen they would not have a
product at all. In other cases, corrections to their processes would realize
much more profit or allow their company to get more sales due to a lower
product cost that they can pass on to their customers.

It seldom shows up in the books and is a challenge to explain to the
business management. It's not just labor, and materials.. it's purchasing
those materials on time and under budget, it's not having to do things over
and over due to poor documentation or skilled labor issues, or poor quality
materials or processes. There are many factors. Contrary to opinion, quality
SAVES money... it doesn't cost more. Most of us would pay more for a quality
item over a cheap one.

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D., C.I.I.