DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:49:58 -0500
From:
"Kowalewski, Andy" <[log in to unmask]>
Right on.

I used to be on PC Design Magazine's Editorial Review Board, and at a meeting of the Design, Fab and Assembly ERBs (in Pete's better days) there was a lot of talk about fab and assembly going off shore, and how everybody was working hard to stay competitive within the US by outsourcing. I asked the question "Aren't you worried about selling the farm? You're teaching all these overseas companies how to do your work to get the advantage of low labour costs - aren't you worried about them eventually eating your lunch?" Most of the answers boiled down to "We aren't worried - we'll make sure we stay ahead by developing new machinery, new processes and new techniques".

I wonder if those same people have the same blasé attitude today?

Andy K.
Sychip Inc
Office (972) 202 8852