TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 07:50:28 -0800
Peter: I will try and address your issues.

1. Yes, the OSP coating should uniformly coat the holes. The board thickness
and hole size should not affect the coating thickness. However if the bare
board fabricator does not have his process under control(chemistry,
application, rinsing, drying, etc.) you could see inconsistencies in the
coating. But I would suspect it to be over the entire board and not
selectively in a given hole size.

2. The barrels of the incoming board should not be oxidized, again this is
assuming the fabricator has his process under control. The coating thickness
is not optically measurable in a cross-section, it is too thin and basically
transparent. However there is a test we have done in the past using a 0.1N
silver nitrate. The solution is applied to the board in dropper form then
rinsed off after a determined amount of time. If the coating is sufficient
the copper should not turn dark up to about 45-60 secs of exposure.
There are other more sophisticated tests that can be done to measure coating
thickness and performance. You might want to contact the local Enthone rep
and discuss this with him.

3. We have used various CU-106 coatings in production for about 8-10 years.
This includes single, double sided reflow, mixed technology, wavesolder,
aqueous wash and semi-aqueous wash. The more process cycles and exposure to
fluxes, chemistry and heat the board sees the more deterioration of the
coating. Reflow temperatures will have the biggest negative impact on the
coating.

We have been successful on a daily basis in producing PCA's that are double
sided no-clean SMT, semi-aqueous washed, wavesoldered OA flux and aqueous
washed.
A couple of key points are:

1. Try and minimize hold times between process steps. We normally will
process thru SM within 8-16 hrs and wavesolder within 24 hrs after that. We
have tested to much longer times but the coating does continues to
deteriorate making it harder to activate.

2. It sounds like you are using organic acid water soluble flux in
wavesolder. If you are that's good, if not look into it. You need the OA
activity level.

3. Regarding inconstant hole fill at wavesolder. If your OSP coating is
properly applied by the fabricator I would suspect your wavesolder flux
application. The OSP coating is destroyed by contact with the flux and
preheat. So if the flux is not fully coating and coming up thru to the
topside of the hole the copper at the top of the hole will not be activated
and will not take solder.

                                                                Good Luck

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer