TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
Dorothy Lush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:17:04 -0800
I do not have any reliability study but 6 or more years ago I was loading a
Dell work station mother board when I was working at a contract manuacturer
and first experienced oval, "race track shaped" land pads on most all their
passive parts. The smallest passive part in this case was 0603 sized. I
understand that Dell did research on this subject and from that came out
with this design. The logic is there for both lead and lead-free designs to
have the rounded corners. If you look at a solder fillet around a passive
resistor for instance which has a rectangular end and you will see that it
is shaped like a oblong racetrack. You will have 360 degrees of fillet
provided that the spacing between the land pads is such that the part
overlap allows it. Virtually 100% of solder strength here is in the solder
fillet.  So, the most economical shape which uses the least amount of solder
(reducing and amount of lead pollution) for virtually 100% of the solder
stength is the rounded corner design. Dell also did the same for it IC's
whose pitch was greater than 20 mils. It makes it easier for stencil design.
I found it excellent for no-clean paste smt processes as it reduced or
eliminated many of the reasons/opportunites for solderballs. You reduce all
the apertures 1-4 mils (depending on the part/pad)or so and misprinting is
not so problematic and solder wetting pulls 100% of the solder into the
fillet as it remelts since there are no corners of solder beyond its reach.
Not very scientific but that is my experience. I do not recommend this
layout for passive parts that will be exposed directly to solderwave but I
do not recommend that any SMD parts go through solderwave. You will have a
hard time getting PCB layout people to do this but it is worth it.

Dorothy Lush
Manufacturing Manager
i2 Telecom International, Inc.