TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
Grant Emandien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:26:02 +0200
Hullo Somtawan,

Is is all over the board or just around a specific component? It seems that
possibly your paste was contaminated with water or some solvent. If a
no-clean flux was used, then IPA and/or deionised-water will only worsen the
colour - the white is the discolouration of the flux residue still on the
boards when mixedf with IPA/solvent. Not sure in your instance, but it could
just be cosmetic or if the board is to be coated, then you may have adhesion
problems. Also not sure what method of cleaning was used, but if you really
need to get this off, then only mechanical (brush, agitation) is required,
then a deionised rinse afterwards may help. Which solder brand did you use?

With respect to IPC-610 criteria, white carbonates and contaminates may be
acceptable, but only at the discretion of the customer/designer.

Regards