TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
Phil Nutting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:36:14 -0500
Ken,

We had a similar customer request.  We didn't like the extra labor of checking the torque or having one person monitor the work of another.  We had tossed around the idea of dipping the screw driver bit in paint then torquing the screw, but that would get messy.  I looked into several different paints and settled on Uni-Paint markers by Sanford.  They are available in many colors, are very quick drying and are the size of a hi-lighter or other marker.  Our Final Inspector tightens the screws and marks them before the unit goes to shipping.

Then to make sure the paint was used correctly I went through the process of creating a document outlining what constituted a good and bad marking.

The data gathering torque driver we have "learns" the typical run-in of a screw, then when tightening 100 screws it will notify the operator when he/she has not tightened a screw properly, assuming all screws are the same length and started with the same length of thread exposed.  If I were to "tighten" the same screw more than once the unit would beep and display an "error" code.

One other thing we have started using is screws that have a Nylon patch on the threads (ND Industries, Nylok and Long-Lok are manufacturers) with a dimpled head (six small marks in the head for easy identification).  The theory being if driven in with a torque driver to a pre determined setting the screw would not back out and was easily identified that it had the Nylon locking patch.

Phil