TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
Matthew Park <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:18:00 -0600
Please try search Technet archives. You might find what you're looking
for.

From my experience,  I worked with Dek265GS and Dek265GSX 2d
inspections. After evaluating for about a year, I concluded Dek has some
serious technical issues to overcome to make 2d inspection more
practical for production. Some of issues I encountered are:

- Programming is difficult and time-consuming by comparison with simple
MPM 2di programming. It has complicated programming structures like
stencil inspection only, stencil+board inspection, board inspection only
etc. For an example, if fid marks are re-taught after a while for some
reason, taught-inspection sites are no longer valid. May require
reprogramming.
- 2d inspection is very slow on Dek265GS/GSX. 2d inspection on Infinity
is faster and acceptable.
- Unacceptable faulty inspection failures (even at 50% tolerance).
Simple inspection sites like 1206, 805 or 603 are problematic after some
successful inspection cycles.
- Inspection windows slowly drift out of programmed inspection sites
after few inspections, or after several dozen board inspections. I
noticed a similar problem with Infinity/Horizon at a Dek facility.
- It does not work well with homeplated or other non-four sided stencil
openings and board pads.

It maybe unfair for Dek, but I was not successful to make Dek 2di to
work like MPM 2di. Dek printers are robust machines and provides
excellent engineering support. Dek 2di is good for sales / marketing but
not practical for production use.

thx
Matthew

There was a posting a few weeks ago asking if anyone had any success
using
the 2D paste inspection on a DEK screen printer. I didn't see any