TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
"Furrow, Robert Gordon (Bob)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:15:13 -0500
Hi Ioan,

We have designed boards with via in pad (VIP) for well over a decade and assuming you have a good solder joint, reliability in Telecom product has not been a problem. We did not evaluate for automotive applications. Having said that, let me also say that VIP is great for the designer but a royal pain for the assembler. It was only intended for designs where absolutely necessary, but it quickly got out of hand when designers realized that by checking off "yes" to VIP, the computer time required to route a board was significantly reduced. It essentially became a defacto standard on many of our designs. Some lessons learned were that you need to carefully control the finished holes size. If you specify a 10 mil nominal finished hole there is a world of difference between a 13 mil received and one that is truly 10 mils. Also, as discrete sizes get to 0603 you need to require a smaller finished hole. We used enlarged stencil openings as well as step stencils in order to get the n!
 eeded solder paste applied. Another issue is to make sure that the via is not shared on both sides of the board with discretes or other surface mount pads. I would be glad to discuss further offline if you have additional questions or comments. We also did some work with plugging the vias, but found it not to be necessary if the surface mount process was optimized, so the cost wasn't justified. It is a slippery slope, as once you get proficient at one set of pad sizes, the designers are going to want to expand the use of VIP to other sizes and feature types.

Thanks,
Robert Furrow
Printed Circuit Board Engineer
Supply Chain Networks