TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
Eric Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:56:27 -0000
Hi Steve,
Vapour phase is ideal for this application. Just make sure that all components to be soldered by this method can take the temperature.
Solder application would be by adding pre-forms or doughnuts. These can be applied by making an aluminium tray with holes corresponding to the array of pins, each with a slightly bigger indentation on one side. Into these indentations you add the doughnuts, usually by dropping a handful on and brushing them around until all indentations are filled.
Invert the backplane plus connectors onto the plate. Turn the whole thing over and remove the plate. With a bit of luck you will have a solder doughnut on every pin.
When I used vapour phase for similar backplanes (some years ago) I had better luck spraying on a water based flux than using pre-fluxed preforms. Oh, and by the way, cleaning was always difficult.
I'm not sure what VP solderers are available these days but no doubt the internet will help.
Hope this helps
Regards
Eric Dawson
UK