TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:23:45 +0000
David

I know and respect what you are saying, but if it were all as you describe,
we would have aircraft falling out of the sky on such a regular basis that
nothing would fly today.

As to Graham - well I haven't tasted them all, so I would be spoilt for
choice, and whilst I made up my mind - Scotch and soda!
--
Regards Graham Naisbitt

Cell: 079 6858 2121
Office: +44 (0)1252 813706

Concoat Limited - Engineering Reliability in Electronics

NEW Additional Web address: www.conformalcoating.com

www.concoat.co.uk     www.concoatsystems.com

> [...]
> Manager
> LoCan LLC
>
> Graham Naisbitt wrote:
>
>> Folks
>>
>> For the record, acrylic coatings have been in use in the aerospace
> industry,
>> on flight systems of all types and locations, for over 30 years now.
> We have
>> even seen circuits running with water as they pass the dew point, no
> failure
>> recorded.
>>
>> Their chemical resistance is excellent (MIL Spec term) but they do
> have
>> selective solvent resistance including moisture (remember that water
> is a
>> solvent) but can easily be removed using most chlorinated or
> fluorinated
>> solvents.
>>
>> Urethanes will provide better solvent resistance hence they are more
>> difficult to rework / repair.
>>
>> I was once asked: "does you coating survive exposure to "Skydrol", an
>> aviation hydraulic fluid that should NEVER be drunk!!! (Worse than
> Mountain
>> Dew I am told!)
>>
>> I asked why, and was informed that it was: "in case the circuit gets
> sprayed
>> by this stuff whilst in flight."
>>
>> My reaction: "This is a circuit in the cockpit of the aircraft, and
> you are
>> worried about the effects of a hydraulic leak of Skydrol spraying onto
>> circuit in a sealed housing - why? There ain't no pilot still in
> there...."
>>
>> "Er, good point. Hadn't really thought that one through...."
>>
>> They used an acrylic!
>>
>> --
>> Regards Graham Naisbitt

>> Cell: 079 6858 2121
>> Office: +44 (0)1252 813706
>>
>> Concoat Limited - Engineering Reliability in Electronics
>>
>> NEW Additional Web address: www.conformalcoating.com
>>
>> www.concoat.co.uk     www.concoatsystems.com
>>

>>> Hans, All,
>>>
>>> We use both AR and UR in different applications on Class 3. It
> really
>>> depends on your end use and fitness for use, and in particular the
> unit or
>>> requirement specification you are trying to meet. AR is easier to
> rework
>>> etc, bit that also means it can be less effective when it comes to
>>> protection... tougher coating = generally harder to remove.
>>>
>>> If you have a requirement to protect against aircraft fluids etc,
> then AR
>>> will be a poorer choice. If you want to use it in a telephone box, AR
> will
>>> do a great job. AR does however have better moisture properties than
> UR.
>>> None of course are truly hermetic, but they will do well in a
>>> condensation/evaporation scenario.
>>>
>>> AR may be good for rework (if/when it is needed), but it also needs

>>> Fax: (478) 926 - 4911