TECHNET Archives

March 2004

From:
"Ffitch, Clive" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:33:21 +0000
Hans, All,

We use both AR and UR in different applications on Class 3. It really
depends on your end use and fitness for use, and in particular the unit or
requirement specification you are trying to meet. AR is easier to rework
etc, bit that also means it can be less effective when it comes to
protection... tougher coating = generally harder to remove.

If you have a requirement to protect against aircraft fluids etc, then AR
will be a poorer choice. If you want to use it in a telephone box, AR will
do a great job. AR does however have better moisture properties than UR.
None of course are truly hermetic, but they will do well in a
condensation/evaporation scenario.

AR may be good for rework (if/when it is needed), but it also needs to be
good for service, which may be decades.

Clive ff.