LEADFREE Archives

March 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Andrew Sweatman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 04:54:47 -0600
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:55:31 -0500, Carmen.Filimon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Carmen,

I am also new to this list but have a reasonable background in "green" design implementation. See
my basic resume at the bottom of this list. I agree with your strategy of brainstorming, it is often
undervalued as being a "soft" approach to a very technical at times issue. But it is invaluable to get
all parties at a meeting to discuss the issues and get a common understanding and "buy-in" as
this type of issue requires a many parts of the organization to participate (never forget marketing).
I am not so sure on a very specific lead free brainstorming session but there is certainly much
material on general "green" design workshops

There are a number of "free" resources on green design process you can see
http://cfd.rmit.edu.au/content/download/205/1550/file/Intro_ERD.pdf

Also Business Asia used some of this material for the following site
http://www.business-asia.net/ecoach/ap/environment/ecodesign_managing.html

We also did a book on this subject
http://www.greenleaf-publishing.com/catalogue/dplusenv.htm

Much of it is personal politics and have a good team leader, try to get someone who is not
traditionally associated with "green" issue to perhaps lead the session. The more senior the better,
as this is a regulatory driver rather than an optional requirement you should have reasonable
success.

Best of luck if you wish to have a discussion over some common issues I am more than happy to
talk to you. Just send me an email.

Best regards

Andrew Sweatman
ESHconnect

---
resume
Andrew Sweatman has over thirteen years of experience providing strategic consulting services to
companies in Europe, Australia and the U.S. to help reduce the environmental impact of their
products and production processes. Andrew is a co-author of a key text on environmentally
oriented product development titled "Design + Environment" published in the UK and distributed
globally with translations in Chinese and Italian.

This unique area of expertise is enhanced by his information technology skills that allow such
consulting solutions to be delivered to global clients via the Internet in the form of web-based
regulatory tracking and e-Learning solutions. Mr. Sweatman's achievements include the
development of regulatory tracking systems for the peak U.S. electronics trade body—the
Electronics Industry Alliance (EIA). He has also developed successful on-line regulatory tracking
systems for Nike and Apple. Mr. Sweatman is a certified Associate Environmental Auditor with a
degree in Industrial Design from RMIT University, Australia and a Master's degree in Environmental
Management from Brunel University London, UK.