EMBEDDEDNET Archives

March 2004

EmbeddedNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D-37 Sub-Committee Forum <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:33:52 -0600
I don't know if I believe all this.  I will see if we can get input from
Paumanok Group as it comes out.   Paumanok publishes "Passive Components"
Magazine.

Denny

----- Forwarded by Dennis Fritz/MacDermid/MACDERMID/US on 03/02/04 09:22
PM -----

David Manners
Electronics Weekly
Reed Business Information Limited. All rights reserved.

The passive component market is expected to decline over the next four
years, according to a report from the French
research house Decision Etudes Conseil.

The biggest decline will come from magnetics, for which the market is
expected to slump by over 4 per cent a year from
2003 to 2007. Capacitors are projected to show 0.5 per cent CAGR growth
over the four years, resistors 1.2 per cent
growth and piezo, crystals and filters a 9 per cent CAGR growth. "Passives
will come under high price pressure and
suffer from the reduction of external components which is done to lower
production costs," Bernard Dauger, consultant to
Decision, told EW. E-mech and interconnect will show better performance
with connectors growing 5.2 per cent over the
four years, PCBs growing 5.1 per cent, hybrids/MCMs growing 4.2 per cent
and keyboards/switches growing 7.1 per cent.
The best news is that the world electronic equipment market will grow by
6.2 per cent CAGR between 2003 and 2007. The
report projects a 6.5 per cent CAGR for telecoms, 5.9 per cent for data
processing, 7.4 per cent for audio and video,
4.2 per cent for aerospace and defense, 5.5 per cent for industrial and
medical, 3.7 per cent for home appliances, and
10.6 per cent for automotive electronics.