TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:16:51 +0200
Please explain to me how a wet plastic mesh of any colour can develop an
electric charge. In the aqueous machines we developed and marketed for
many years, we used polypropylene baskets, some with stainless steel
inserts, some with polypropylene ones. Many customers were worried about
this and tried to measure charges on the baskets and inserts and never
found anything significant. The reason: the polypropylene was
sponge-like and held sufficient water, after their first use, to allow
the charges to be dissipated to all the earthed stainless steel they
were in contact with. I have never heard of a case, in the 25 years that
these were marketed, of a component damaged in a way imputable to these
machines.

Brian