TECHNET Archives

February 2004

From:
Suzanne Foulkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:09:33 -0500
I know this was up for a discussion a few weeks ago. Can anyone tell me
what the root cause was determined to be?

 I am experiencing solder mask flaking on a group of boards manufactured
by one certain supplier. It is a random occurrence for example 10 out of
the 100 boards we had this occurr. Then a different board we ran 8 out
of 40 were flaking same supplier as previous one.

Supplier runs samples at his facility and he see's no flaking. We
changed our solder temperature from 500 degrees to 450 degrees at the
suppliers suggestion and flaking still occurs. He then states maybe were
not using enough flux but review shows plenty of flux if anything maybe
were using to much flux from the way the boards look coming out of the
wave and washer.

Thanks
Sue Foulkes
QA Manager